The University Scholar Program is an opportunity for motivated and academically talented students to get more from their last three undergraduate semesters.
Under the guidance of a faculty advisory committee, a University Scholar:
- Engages in an intensive, focused University Scholar project, culminating in a high-level scholarly or creative accomplishment.
- Selects curricula, outlined in a plan of study, that are interdisciplinary or more in-depth investigations into his/her disciplines and that support his/her University Scholar project and academic goals. This coursework may include graduate-level courses.
University Scholars enjoy
- Award applied to the General University Fee for a maximum of 3 regular semesters (until graduation as a University Scholar)
- Access to funds for course credit fee waivers, for summer or intersession courses
- Awarded on a first-come, first-served basis for a maximum of 9 credits per student.
- Fee waivers are only available for charges labeled “tuition.”
- After registering, email your fee waiver request to the University Scholar Coordinator, Monica van Beusekom, and include your name, admin#, course subject, course number, and # of credits
- Removal of credit limits per semester
- Waiver of maximum credits in special topics, variable topics and independent study courses
- Permission to take graduate courses (5000-5999) (Permission must be requested from the instructor)
- Access to courses outside the student’s school or college
- Priority in housing (including guaranteed on-campus housing through to senior year)
- Priority in registration for classes
- Extended loan privileges at the University library
- If accepted into a UConn graduate program, permission to enroll concurrently in undergraduate and graduate degree programs. See Advanced Degrees for more information.
- Waiver of UConn Graduate School application fee, if applying for combined bachelor’s/master’s degrees. See Advanced Degrees for more information.