The University Scholar Program is an opportunity for motivated and academically talented students to get more from their last three undergraduate semesters.
Under the guidance of a faculty advisory committee, a University Scholar:
- Engages in an intensive, focused University Scholar project, culminating in a high-level scholarly or creative accomplishment.
- Selects curricula, outlined in a plan of study, that are interdisciplinary or more in-depth investigations into his/her disciplines and that support his/her University Scholar project and academic goals.
University Scholars Enjoy:
- Award applied to the General University Fee and Student Health Services Fee for a maximum of 3 regular semesters (or until graduation as a University Scholar, whichever comes first)
- Access to funds for course credit fee waivers, for summer or intersession courses
- Awarded on a first-come, first-served basis for a maximum of 9 credits per student.
- Fee waivers are only available for charges labeled “tuition.”
- After registering, email your fee waiver request to the University Scholar Coordinator and include your name, admin#, course subject, course number, # of credits, and the course modality (online, in person etc)
- Removal of credit limits per semester (email the University Scholar Coordinator with the number of credits you wish to enroll in and they will submit the request to the Registrar)
- Waiver of maximum credits in special topics, variable topics and independent study courses
- Permission to take graduate courses (5000-5999) (Permission must be requested from the instructor)
- Access to courses outside the student’s school or college
- Priority in housing (including guaranteed on-campus housing through senior year)
- Priority in registration for classes
- Extended loan privileges at the University library
- If accepted into a UConn graduate program, permission to work towards a graduate degree while an undergraduate and apply graduate-level courses taken as an undergraduate toward that graduate degree, subject to certain rules. See Advanced Degrees for details regarding these rules.
- Waiver of the UConn Graduate School application fee, if applying to a master’s program while a University Scholar. See Advanced Degrees for more information.